Sunday, July 1, 2012

Baby Pinkney

I remember very clearly when Deepa told me she was expecting.  She called, and asked if I could get on video chat to give my opinion on which dress she should wear to one of David's banquets.  This wasn't out of the ordinary, as for years, we regularly chatted this way when she lived 700 miles away in Boston.  Distance never held much power over fashion advice amongst friends.


You see, forever, I will hold claim to the fact that I was Deepa's first friend in the US.  And as a result of that, she is also one of my oldest.  She came to my first grade class, not speaking a word of English.  And by the end of that year, the two of us were getting in trouble during sleepovers for talking when we were supposed to be sleeping.  It is a friendship that started out as a sprint, but has turned into a marathon-- seeing as we're already past the 23 year mark, and still holding strong. 


When I connected on g-chat that night with "Deepa Pinkney", David's face popped up on the computer.  "Where's Deepa?", I asked.  "She's putting on the first dress", he replied.  And with that, he turned the computer, and around the corner walked Deepa.  Dress on, but a pillow shoved under it.  Now if there's one thing I can say about Deepa, it's that, THAT woman is funny.  She makes me laugh more than just about anyone, and when she exclaimed, "guess what?! I'm PREGNANT!!!", my initial response was a very flat, "No, you're not.  Let me see the dress." -- I thought she was attempting to play a joke, seeing as 2 of our best friends were also pregnant at the time. -- It wasn't until after a 2 minute conversation filled with me repeating, "no your not" and "stop joking", and her assuring back multiple times, "no, I swear I am", that I believed her.  She was going to be a mama.  






It wasn't an easy start to the pregnancy for her.  She had multiple medical issues that involved a lot of pain for her, and trips to the doctor.  She was a trooper that whole first trimester though.  Already showing her love for that baby.  It would all be worth it.  She had a son on the way, and she already loved him with a fierce love.  As the pregnancy progressed, things got easier, and she only grew more beautiful. 



Remember when I told you about how funny she is?



With less than a month left until her due date, I had the chance to snap a few shots of David and Deepa.  It's always special to see your best friends to go on and become mama's.  But with this one, it holds a unique bit of special.  Deepa and I have been having conversations on issues that are important to us since we were 6 years old.  Mostly joining in laughter, sometimes in tears, but always there to support one another.  Heck, we were even friends when a language barrier stood between us.  6 year olds are pretty amazing in that way.  The months between that initial reveal she was expecting, and today, have opened a whole new chapter of our long-standing friendship.  The whole time reminding me that along with some of life's biggest changes, some things stay the same.  Conversations continue to be had filled with laughter, some tears, and of course, support. 


  Stunning.




If there's one thing I am certain of when it comes to baby Pinkney, it's that I know he's going to know how to be a good friend.  His mom and his dad are a couple of the best around, and that little guy is going to have the very best examples to learn from.  I'm already thankful for the lives he will effect.  Because for good friendships, it takes one to know one.  And his parents will show him how to do it right.  










Baby Pinkney is due to be here sometimes around July 19! And I can't wait to see how one of my favorite couples, turns into one of my favorite families!  





2 comments:

  1. These are fantastic! Gorgeous photography and stunning models! You are so talented, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photots!!!!! Deepa looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete